FINDING FAITHFULNESS IN DIFFICULT CIRCUMSTANCES: LESSONS FROM RUTH - PART 3
Faith Knows When to Wait
Part 3
Ruth 3
Throughout our faith journey, there are times when we feel we have done everything God has asked of us in a particular situation. We have maintained our faith, followed Him, prayed, obeyed, served faithfully, and taken the next step He provided. Yet the response we seek has not come. These moments are the most challenging. It’s in our nature to keep doing something, to fix the situation or hasten the outcome, and this can lead us to try to control everything ourselves. During these times, God does want us to act, but sometimes what He requires is far harder: to wait patiently. This is exactly where Ruth is found in chapter three.
The chapter begins with Naomi giving Ruth instructions. When reading it for the first time, her instructions to Ruth may seem strange. Why would she tell Ruth to go to the threshing floor at night, wait until Boaz was asleep, and then lie down at his feet? To understand this part of Scripture, we need to look beyond the instructions themselves and consider Naomi’s heart. “…My daughter, shall I not seek rest for thee, that it may be well with thee? (Ruth 3:1) Naomi is seeking Ruth’s long-term security. She is looking towards Ruth’s future.
Remember, Boaz was a relative of Naomi’s late husband, Elimelech, and had a role as a family redeemer. Naomi saw an opportunity for Ruth to approach Boaz to fulfil that role. She instructs Ruth to prepare, go to the threshing floor, wait until Boaz has settled, uncover his feet, and lie down. When Boaz wakes, Ruth is to make her request known and then trust him to respond. Though this scene may seem unusual, its purpose is clearer when Ruth speaks: she isn't simply making a romantic proposition, but asks, “Spread your wings over your servant, for you are a redeemer.” (Ruth 3:9) Ruth is requesting Boaz to take her under his protection through marriage and fulfil the role of family redeemer.
Ruth’s response to Naomi, “All that thou sayest unto me I will do,” (Ruth 3:5) shows her trust. As we’ve seen in parts 1 and 2 of this series, faith can require stepping into uncertain situations. Ruth had no idea what Boaz would say or how things would unfold, but she obeyed and began waiting patiently, even when she no longer could have complete control of her circumstances.
We then see that Boaz awakes and is surprised to see Ruth at his feet. (Ruth 3:8-9) At this time, Ruth didn’t try to manipulate the outcome. Instead, she presented her request and then left the matter beyond her control in God’s hands.
Boaz's response is kind. He doesn’t shame her or take advantage of the vulnerable situation; he tells her, “…Blessed be thou of the Lord, my daughter…” He recognises her character and her kindness. He also tells her not to fear (Ruth 3:11). At this point, Boaz communicates his willingness to become her husband, but there is another step they must take before that can be a possibility. He needs to speak to the nearer kinsman-redeemer and ask if he wants to care for Ruth. Suddenly, Ruth still doesn’t have her answer. She’s done everything she was supposed to do, but the circumstances are out of her control. And so Ruth had to wait. Sometimes, it brings us to a place where there is nothing left to do but trust the Lord with what happens next.
What do we do when we’ve prayed, obeyed, taken the step, and still don’t have the answer? That is answered in Ruth 3:18: “Then said she, Sit still, my daughter, until thou know how the matter will fall…” Sometimes, after obedience comes stillness. It is a stillness that reflects confidence that the Lord is in control: a choice not to respond with anxiety but to trust the One who already knows the outcome.
Let’s Pause Here
Waiting does not mean a lack of faith; often, it's a profound expression of it. Although we desire instant answers, God often uses the waiting to deepen our trust as we learn to surrender our desires to His will and timing. During this period, He is always at work: shaping hearts, sustaining us through uncertainty, and accomplishing purposes we may not yet understand.
Remember that waiting on God does not guarantee He will give us the answer we want. Ruth’s story ends with the answer she hoped for, but Scripture never teaches that our faithfulness gives us control over God’s response. Many times the Lord answers as we hoped; sometimes He asks us to keep waiting, and sometimes His answer is completely different from what we prayed for. Faith means trusting Him in all three!
For Your Heart
Sixteen years ago, shortly after my firstborn celebrated his first birthday, I was diagnosed with melanoma and faced surgery. Until that moment, I had never really understood what it felt like to live with such uncertainty. For the first time, I found myself wondering, Will I see my son grow up? There were so many questions, and so few answers. Neither my husband nor I had any control over the outcome. We could seek the best treatment, pray, and do everything we knew to do, but ultimately, the future was in God’s hands.
It was one of the hardest seasons of my life. My faith was tested in ways I had never experienced before. I prayed, I trusted, and yet there was still that uncertainty of not knowing what the future held. Eventually, I came to the realisation that I had no control over my circumstances. I couldn’t guarantee my son would grow up with his mother. I couldn’t determine what the future held for my husband or for me. The only thing I could do was place all three of us into the hands of the One who already knew our future.
Something changed in my heart when I finally surrendered that need for control. I didn’t have the answers, but I knew who did. And in that surrender, my heart became still.
Walking It Out
This week, consider asking yourself:
- Is there an outcome I’m trying to control?
- Have I done what God has asked me to do?
- Am I willing to trust Him with what I cannot change?
A “Cuppa” of Encouragement
Don’t Give Up When the Waiting Seems Long
Waiting can be discouraging, especially when we don’t know how long it will last. Days turn into weeks, weeks into months, and sometimes it can feel as though God has forgotten the prayer we’ve prayed so many times.
But Ruth’s story reminds us that waiting doesn’t mean the story has ended.
Ruth had no idea how long she would have to wait or what would happen next. Yet she didn’t walk away. She didn’t give up because the answer wasn’t immediate. She simply remained faithful and trusted the God who was at work in circumstances she could not yet understand.
Perhaps you’re waiting for an answer today. Maybe you’ve prayed the same prayer longer than you ever expected. Don’t give up simply because the waiting has become difficult.
God is not limited by our timelines. What feels like a delay to us may be part of a much greater story we cannot yet see.
So keep praying. Keep trusting. Keep walking faithfully.
Hide This in Your Heart
“Be still, and know that I am God…” Psalm 46:10
Comments
Post a Comment