FINDING FAITHFULNESS IN DIFFICULT CIRCUMSTANCES: LESSONS FROM RUTH - PART 2
![]() |
| Faith doesn't wait for certainty - it takes the next step! |
Before We Continue…
In Part One, we found Ruth standing at a crossroads. She had experienced deep loss and faced an uncertain future. Yet in the midst of her grief, she chose to remain faithful. She left behind what was familiar, walked alongside Naomi, and placed her trust in the God she was only beginning to know.
“Whither thou goest, I will go…
thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God.” Ruth 1:16
Her faith did not remove the hardships she faced, but it gave her the courage to step into the unknown. Ruth reminds us that faith often begins with a simple decision to trust God, even when we cannot see what lies ahead.
But faith is more than a decision—it is lived out through obedience. In Part Two, we will see that trusting God means moving forward in faith. Ruth’s faithfulness led her to take the next step, and through her quiet obedience, God began revealing His provision and purpose.
Faith Takes Initiative
Part 2
Ruth 2:1–7
Waiting on God does not mean remaining idle. In Ruth’s story, faith expresses itself through humble obedience. After arriving in Bethlehem, Ruth did not sit idle or wait for life to change on its own. She asked permission to glean in the fields and set out to work. That simple act reveals something beautiful about faith: sometimes trusting Him means taking the next humble step right in front of us.
Ruth could not have known where her obedience would lead, yet she chose to keep going. Her trust was quiet, steady, and costly. In those ordinary steps of obedience, God revealed His care and prepared the way ahead.
Ruth’s initiative was not driven by ambition or a desire to make herself important. It grew out of love. She wanted to care for Naomi. She was walking through grief, uncertainty, and unfamiliar surroundings, yet she chose to act rather than remain frozen in fear. She did not wait for ideal conditions or complete security. As she moved forward in faith, she discovered God had already gone before her.
Ruth reminds us that God’s provision is often found in ordinary obedience. Faith is not always dramatic. More often, it is quiet and consistent. It means showing up when it would be easier to stay still, serving when no one notices, and trusting God with the outcome while remaining faithful to the task He has set before us.
“And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi, Let me now go to the field, and glean ears of corn after him in whose sight I shall find grace.
And she said unto her, Go, my daughter.” Ruth 2:2
Let’s Pause Here
Sometimes our greatest acts of faith are also our quietest acts of love. Ruth wasn’t motivated by recognition or reward. She simply wanted to love Naomi well. Is there someone God is inviting you to serve this week? Are you willing to trust Him even if no one else notices?
For Your Heart
One lesson I have learned over the years is that prayer and work often go together. When I was a teenager facing school exams, I remember asking my parents to pray that God would help me do well. Their response has stayed with me ever since. They reminded me that while God would certainly bless my efforts, I still needed to study. Prayer was never meant to replace responsibility; it was meant to strengthen it.
That simple lesson has shaped how I understand faith. God often blesses the work we place in His hands. He honours diligence, strengthens weary hearts, and uses even ordinary acts of obedience for His purposes. Ruth’s willingness to glean in the fields may have seemed like a small task, but it became part of God’s beautiful plan. Our faithful obedience may also seem ordinary, yet God delights in using it in ways we cannot yet see.
Walking It Out
This week, ask the Lord to show you what your next faithful step is. It may not be something dramatic. It could be reaching out to someone who needs encouragement, completing a task you have been avoiding, serving quietly without recognition, or simply continuing to trust God in a situation that has not changed yet.
One of the greatest lessons I have learned is that obedience often comes before understanding. There was a season in my life when I had a picture of how I thought God would write my story. I had always imagined serving God alongside my future husband as a missionary, not stepping onto the mission field on my own as a single woman. For seven years, I waited and prayed, hoping that God would bring that dream to pass. I often wondered why God seemed to be asking me to wait when my heart longed to serve alongside a husband. Instead, He asked me to trust Him with a different step first. When God placed an opportunity before me to serve as a single missionary, I knew I could not wait until every detail made sense. I had to trust Him with the unknown and take the next step of faith.
That step was not easy, and it was not the path I had imagined for myself. But as I look back, I can see that God was faithfully leading me all along. In His perfect timing, He brought the right man into my life, but first He taught me to surrender my plans and trust His purposes.
Like Ruth, we may not always see where the next step will lead. We may not have every answer or understand the full picture. But when we walk forward in obedience, we discover that God is already at work ahead of us. Take the step He is placing before you today, trusting that He is faithful with the story He is writing.
A “Cuppa” of Encouragement
Take heart today. Every step of faith taken in obedience matters to the Lord. He sees every quiet prayer, every humble act of service, every unseen sacrifice, and every faithful choice made out of love for Him. Nothing offered to God is ever wasted. As you continue to trust Him and put your faith into action, may you find joy in knowing He is faithfully weaving His purposes through the ordinary moments of your life.
Hide This in Your Heart
“Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.” James 2:17

Comments
Post a Comment